Friday, August 12, 2011

How to Be a Browncoat and Make a Difference (Or, Do This Thing I Say)

I came to Firefly much later than I will ever admit to any stranger, or most friends for that matter. Even saying that much was a big deal. See how close we are? I've been a devoted Whedonite since I was 12, but it was always that thing that I was going to get around to and, like a jerk - albeit a jerk who was a full time student, but no excuses here - never did. Take a minute to judge, maybe an extra 30 seconds to call me names. I'll wait.

...

Anyway, the silver lining in all of that is that I did start watching it at a very significant point in my life, and it will always be extra special because of that. However, even if I'd started on an average day, it still would've changed me forever in really poignant and important ways that I don't have time to discuss right now but probably will in the future.

The point is, though I took my time, I'm a passionate and devoted Browncoat, and it would thus be criminal of me NOT to talk to you about Browncoats: Redemption.

"But CDog," you ask, "What the hell is that?"

Calm down, gorramit, and I'll tell you.

Browncoats: Redemption is an independent non-profit movie made by fans for fans featuring an original tale from the 'Verse with all new characters, sort of like a Firefly: The Next Generation, if you will. Proceeds from the film go to five charities close to the Browncoat community which are supported and/or helped by Firefly/Serenity cast and crew members. To date, over $70,000 has been raised by the project.

Set three months after the signal about Miranda is sent out, the movie follows Captain Laura Mathews and the crew of her Firefly, Redemption, as they unintentionally get caught up in the fallout. Featuring cameos by some original cast members, an original piece of music by series composer Greg Edmonson (in addition to the Redemption score, which was composed by Carl Hayes), and a fun and compelling story, the film is an awesome way to stay connected to the 'Verse while doing something good for a worthy cause. Five worthy causes, actually: Equality Now, The Dyslexia Foundation, The Al Wooten Jr. Heritage Foundation, the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation, and Kids Need to Read all benefit from the sale of the film.

But wait, there's more!

Browncoats: Redemption also carries the blessing of Firefly/Serenity creator Joss Whedon and has studio permission to be sold, provided all the proceeds go to charity, until September 1, 2011. No other fan film in history can say the same, and it's kind of badass that Browncoats got to break that ground.

"Wait, CDog. What did you just say? It's only being sold until September 1?"

That's right, and unfortunately, that's not too far away.  Now, I'm not really one to jump on the interweb and yell, "HEY, BUY THIS STUFF!" at people, but I got the chance to hang out with some of the Redemption folk while volunteering at the California Browncoats booth during San Diego Comic-Con, and their passion and enthusiasm about this project that benefits both fans and the world at large has led me to break that rule.

Please consider heading over to the Redemption store and picking up a copy. I've been advised that the limited edition original release DVD has sold out, but the remastered edition is available on DVD, Blu-ray, and Blu-ray/DVD combo. These discs are region free, meaning they can be played on any machine in any country, and they do ship globally. They also come with the score and all sorts of special features.

For more information about Browncoats: Redemption, its mission statement, and the charities it supports, check out browncoatsmovie.com. You can also find them on Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks for your consideration, friends.

Stay shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment