Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On The JV Club, Episode 49 (Or, That Time I Sort of Threw a Birthday Party for a Podcast)

It's a dark and rainy day here in CDogland and I am in bed with a gnarly cold, so let's take a journey back in time about two weeks to another rainy day when I was mobile and not forced to breathe almost exclusively through my mouth.

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I am very pro-podcast. Listening to them has expanded my world on all sorts of levels, be it by introducing me to new performers, informing me about events, or even just helping me think about things in new ways.

Two of my friends - Jennie and Natalie - recently mentioned that they'd like to get into some podcasts, but that the idea of just sitting and listening was unappealing. Always one to embrace a theme, I suggested that we start having podcast parties. We're crafty people (knitting, crocheting, baking, soldering - there aren't many DIY projects we wouldn't attempt at least once), so I figured why not pair creating with listening? And, on top of that, why not share what goes into each event with you?

The day of our first as-yet-unnamed gathering happened to fall on the one year anniversary of The JV Club podcast, so it seemed particularly appropriate to start there. Hosted by Janet Varney, the basic premise of The JV Club is that guest and host alike talk their way from adolescence to adulthood. It's a part of the Nerdist network of podcasts, and I found my way to it through them and through being a fan of Janet, who is one of the three co-founders of SF Sketchfest and voices the lead on The Legend of Korra, among other things.

Of my mainstay podcasts, I can say without hesitation that The JV Club is my favorite. Listening to it has made me laugh, made me cry, made me cringe - sometimes all within the span of one episode. It gave me the courage to throw this post out into the universe. No matter what else is going on, the hour and change that I spend plugged in feels like a safe time to listen and learn and let go.

So yes, it was a good place to start. As it was a Thursday, we met up in the evening after being released from our respective work environments. Nat and Jennie have been working on adding crocheting to their skill set, but opted to knit that night, having not quite mastered the former. I, naturally, had completely forgotten how to knit, so I offered to make dinner. On the menu: lentil soup and Mean Girl bars. Both happen to be gluten free, which I am not. I am, however, a vegan, and the twain often meet. Do know that I'll always mention whether anything I post is GF or not, and that any ingredient I mention is vegan, so I probably won't add the extra qualifier when listing it.

We listened to episode 49, which was recorded live at Sketchfest with Tig Notaro in February. I was in the audience, and being there sort of changed my life (note: if you know me, be aware that this is one of those times when I'm being completely serious about something legitimately changing my life and not like the time I saw From Justin to Kelly). I'd seen Jennie and Nat the day after for our Not-Quite-a-Super-Bowl-More-of-a-Showtune-Singing Party and couldn't shut up about it, so they were curious and I was ready to share. I prefaced the episode with Live, the recording of Tig's legendary Largo set, which will be the best $5 you ever spent, so hit that link and go get it now.

Heavy stuff gets tackled point blank, both in the episode and on the album, and maybe one of the greatest gifts of it all revealed itself when we paused to eat: we talked. Just straight up talked about what we'd heard so far and how we felt about it, and that kind of segued into us just talking about our own lives. These are people that I'm very close to, that I've known for most of my life, but sometimes it's hard to really dig in and go for it. It was nice.

We wrapped the evening with a very important first for me: I made a friendship bracelet. 26 years of living, and I'd never done it before. So, under Jennie's gentle tutelage ("Here's what you do. I'll turn away so I'm not watching and making you uncomfortable..."), I created what I'm sure will be the first of many bracelets, in the podcast's colors.

A successful first venture, and my friends are already on board for more (Jennie: "CDog, we want to have a podcast party where we make tea and scones and sit outside. Do you have an episode of something for that?").

Pics and recipes after the jump.





 Reppin' The JV Club on my coat. Also, Monsters, Inc., because why wouldn't I?
Jennie and Natalie, knitting and listening.

Lotsa Veggies Lentil Soup (Serves 6)

This recipe is from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Appetite for Reduction, which is full of ridiculously delicious and super easy vegan dishes. A full nutritional breakdown is included with each recipe, which can be really helpful if you're just starting a plant-based way of life and figuring out how to stay balanced, or if you're just feeling a little out of whack and looking for a way to get back on track.

Note: The bulk spice and grain sections are your friends. Unless you're trying to find tarragon on March 7, 2013 and have to go to 2 different stores because apparently everyone else in the world wanted it too.

Also, I like my soups a little on the chunkier side, so I often apply pretty liberal definitions to the words, "dice," and, "mince." Doing so will not ruin your life. You can also leave your spinach leaves whole if you want, just make sure they're washed well and de-stemmed.

Ingredients
1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium-size onion, cut into medium dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried tarragon
Several pinches fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 ribs celery, diced small
1/2 lb. carrots, diced small
1/2 lb. zucchini, diced small
1 cup French lentils (or green lentils, alternately)
6 cups vegetable broth (pre-made broths tend to be way sodium heavy, so seek out a low-sodium option when you can - your blood pressure will thank you for it)
6 oz. tomato sauce
1/4 lb. (about 3 cups) spinach leaves, washed well and chopped

Directions
Pre-heat a 4-qt. pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion in the oil until translucent (about 5 minutes). If your onion starts to stick, add a little water. Add the garlic, thyme, tarragon, pepper, and salt. Sauté another minute.

Add the celery, carrots, zucchini, lentils, and vegetable broth. Mix to combine. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes, until the lentils are very tender and the soup is thickened.

Add the tomato sauce and spinach, and cook until the spinach is wilted. Done. If you can hold out, let it sit for about 10 minutes or longer before serving - most soups are even better after you let them rest for a bit.

Dinner and deep talks.

Mean Girl Bars (Makes 9-12 bars)

These are from These Treats Don't Suck: A Gluten-Free Baking Book by Lauren Lopez, which I happily backed on Kickstarter last year. Again, I myself am not GF, but I have friends who are and enjoy being able to make stuff that is delicious and won't kill them. Also, the recipes in this book are dairy free, too (though not all of them are egg-free, so fellow vegans, just know that you'll have to work around that sometimes - it's not hard). The great thing about this recipe is that you can add pretty much anything you want to it - chocolate chips (which I did), fruit, different nuts, whatever.

Note: Honey is a key ingredient, and one that can be controversial. Bee abuse (real thing) is a far too common consequence of mass honey production, and the declining bee population is a big deal that has a direct impact on our ecosystem and humanity as a whole and I'm a giant hippie sometimes, but seriously. I recommend getting to know your local beekeepers and learning their practices before deciding if you want to use their products. I get my honey from Bee Kind in the SF Bay Area. If you can't find a brand you're on board with, brown rice syrup is a good substitute. 

Ingredients
3/4 cup (heaping) roughly chopped nuts (I used the suggested salted peanuts, unsalted roasted almonds, and pecans)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
sea salt for sprinkling (optional)

Line an 8x8 inch square baking dish with tinfoil.

Place your oats and coconut in a frying pan over medium heat and toast until golden brown (tip: Do not forget that you're doing this, because shredded coconut burns pretty fast. Uh, a friend told me that.) Set aside to cool. The toasting isn't necessary, but does create a deeper flavor.

In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, cinnamon, and salt. Add toasted oats and coconut, stir to combine. Add chopped nuts, stir to combine. Add any other stuff you're tossing in, combine.

Pour into prepared 8x8 inch pan. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt over the top. Chill in the refrigerator before cutting into bars.

Not going to lie, I took a quarter of this home and had it for breakfast the next day.

First friendship bracelet I ever made, securely on my wrist. Happy birthday, JV Club!






No comments:

Post a Comment