Friday, November 8, 2013

On Meeting the Apocalypse (Or, Help Make This Thing)

I said I wasn't going to blog during NaNoWriMo. I lied.

What has compelled me to break the serious and sacred bond of self-imposed cyber-silence? I'm so glad you asked.

Diani & Devine - the creative team behind horror comedy The Selling and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn [Robotic Edition], and other excellence - have launched a new Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for their latest project: Diani and Devine Meet the Apocalypse. If we really want to get technical about it, they launched it a couple weeks ago. While I threw my money at it on the first day, I've kind of been resting on my backer laurels since then, and that simply cannot continue to stand.


Described by its creators as, "a feature-length comedy film about a struggling comedy duo who discover that surviving the apocalypse is almost as difficult as surviving in Hollywood," DDMTA promises to bring its smart and sincere brand of humor to a traditionally dark genre. Tired of watching Rick Grimes' moral struggle each week on The Walking Dead? I mean, I'm not - I could watch that crazy-eyed scruffy sheriff brood all day. But I want this too.

If that's not enough, DDMTA also boasts a cast that includes Barry Bostwick, Harry Groener, Armin Shimerman, Cole Stratton, Kitty Swink, and Janet Varney. These fine folks, among others, have been joining DDMTA creators and co-stars Gabriel Diani and Etta Devine (oft accompanied by their dog and cat, Watson and Mrs. Peel) in posting daily videos that serve the dual purpose of promoting the project and providing the general public with helpful tips for surviving the apocalypse.

I know. I've worked you into a frenzy. You're ready to surrender your kids' college funds (don't). But there's even more. Kickstarter backer rewards include everything from copies of the film and its soundtrack to Skype conversations with some of the cast. Top tier rewards include rad stuff like set visits, a spot at the table read, and producer credits.

Let me be real with you: I keep busy on Kickstarter. I like having the opportunity to play a pretty direct role in helping stuff I like exist. This year alone, I've backed comics, robotics projects, and helped my local two-screen cinema upgrade its projection system. I helped bring Veronica Mars back from the dead and built a better bicycle bell. But this is one of the projects I'm most excited about. I loved The Selling, I think the Huck Finn: Robotic Edition is one of the most hilarious pieces of commentary ever, and I want to see this movie. If you've got a dollar or more to spare, you can help make that possible!

Visit DDMTA.com today to view the full list of pledge levels and watch the fantastic videos that have been posted by the cast. I'll leave you with a couple, just in case you're still on the fence.






No comments:

Post a Comment