Sunday, July 6, 2014

On Quick and Easy Dishes (Or, Sorry, I Was Supposed to Do This Weeks Ago...)

I'm a jerk.

Having a multipurpose blog means that when someone says, "Hey, saw your Instagram photo of your dinner 'cause you're one of those people, can I get the recipe," I tend to answer with, "Sure! I'm going to put it up on my blog this week." Which is a great response, in theory, because then I can direct anybody else who asks to one place and hey, new blog post!

However, sometimes, "I'll put it up on my blog this week," really means, "Next week," or, "In a couple months," or, "Never."

Sorry. If you're one of the people I've inadvertently fibbed to, do know that I always start with honest intentions.

As penance, I'm finally providing you with one of my favorite recipes, and I've another post in the works that will feature a new summer favorite. I hope we can still be friends.

Cooking is my favorite. I genuinely enjoy it, and on the health front, the best way to know exactly where your food came from and what went into it is to make it yourself.

However, cooking can also be a major time suck, especially if you're working late or if you have a long commute. I try to plan for the week and reserve some time on Sundays to prep things so that I can just reheat when I get home, but it doesn't always work out that way. This is when it helps to have a couple of super quick and filling dishes in your back pocket - they'll keep you from leaning on takeout, which will rob you blind and probably leave you nutritionally unsatisfied, while still allowing you to eat dinner before 10:00.

After the jump, you'll find one of my go-to's.

Cornmeal and Herb Encrusted Tofu
I've mentioned before that I'm not big on most soy products as a personal preference, mostly related to taste and digestion. Tofu is one of the exceptions. It's not a staple of mine, but I do enjoy it on occasion, especially in this recipe! I adapted it from an original post made by Matt Maggiacomo during his brief but highly enjoyable stint as a food blogger on the Fitting It In web site. You can find that post, which is full of other fabulous recipes that I totally recommend, here. Bookmark it. I certainly did.

A Note About Tofu
1) I am not a doctor or a scientist.
2) Soy is a big time mass-produced GMO crop - processed derivatives and additives like soy lecithin are used as cheap emulsifiers in all sorts of stuff. However, great non-GMO verified brands do exist, and are still totally affordable. Look for either a USDA Organic label or a seal of verification from the Non-GMO Project.

Tofu is sold in blocks of various sizes. A 14 oz. pack will serve maybe 2-3 people. If you're worried, pick up a few - they're inexpensive, and you can always toss the leftovers into a breakfast scramble or salad. Just make sure you pay attention to the firmness - it matters, and it's the easiest mistake that tofu newbs make. 

Ingredients
1 block firm or super firm tofu, sliced into 1 inch thick cutlets
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup cornmeal or corn flour
Herbs and spices (suggestions: garlic salt, basil, thyme, cayenne, paprika, rosemary)
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Sauce (Optional)
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 large onion, diced
3-4 medium roma or heirloom tomatoes, chopped and seeded (or 1 large can crushed tomatoes)
Generous handful of fresh basil, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil

On a plate or in a small bowl, measure out your cornmeal and herb mixture. Play around until you find the spice blend that works best for you. A little cornmeal goes a long way, so start with a small amount. Side note: if you want your tofu a little crunchier, try a more coarse, stoneground cornmeal. For crispier tofu, go with a finely ground cornmeal or corn flour.

Heat your oil in a non-stick frying pan. Keep it on low-to-medium heat so the olive oil doesn't smoke - you're only using a wee bit, so that could happen fast. Dredge your tofu cutlets in the cornmeal mixture and place them in the pan. They'll fry up pretty quickly, so be ready to flip them over after about 2-3 minutes. Once both sides are golden and crisp, remove them from the pan and transfer them to a plate covered with a paper towel to soak up any extra oil.

I like to pair the tofu with a side of steamed or roasted veggies - broccoli, asparagus, and kale with carrots are a few favorites. Most vegetables take between 8-12 minutes to cook through, so throw them in the steamer or drizzle them with a little olive oil with salt and pepper and stick them in the oven before you get started on the tofu and they'll be done by the time you finish.

If you've got a little extra time to play with, top your tofu with tomato sauce. Sauté your onion and garlic in the olive oil until fragrant and translucent. Stir in the tomatoes until they cook down - about 5 minutes, give or take. Add the fresh basil, stir for another minute. Spoon over your tofu.

Tofu with a side of yukon gold potatoes and roasted asparagus. 




No comments:

Post a Comment